Friday, September 2, 2011

 Rose Burst
15x22 watercolor

This week I experienced a wonderful new thing in my life and the next day a horrible terrible loss.  A woman called on behalf of a local art club in town and asked if I would do a demo and discussion at one of their meetings.  I would be "the watercolor artist" in their program.  Of course, I was thrilled and excited and scared.  I asked her how she found out about me considering there are so many watercolor artists in Dallas.  She said from "the book", CityArtCal.  When she said, "the book" I immediately knew what she was talking about and I immediately also thought of Jennifer.  Jennifer was the founder of CityArtCal and over the course of our 5 year friendship she always referred to the annual calendar featuring local artists as "the book".  After I got off the phone I thought, "that Jennifer, (nodding my head) she probably suggested me to this woman just as Jennifer had just suggested a landscape company that was a sponsor in "the book" to me the week before.  That is what Jennifer did, she was a connector.  She connected people together. 

Then yesterday I found out that Jennifer Lynn Culberston left this world on August 29, 2011.  Jennifer united so many artists here in Dallas.  She was forming a community of artists and bringing art to everyone by distributing these books to every house in the neighborhoods of Dallas.  I cannot emphasize Jennifer's passion for art and art in our lives.  What I can tell you about Jennifer is that she had time for you, for anyone.  You called her at any time of day, she would give you her ear, her time, her heart without any interruption or distraction whatsoever.  So many of the artists that knew her are grieving and sharing their sentiments with each other via email.  Someone said, "she was our mother, our champion".   Jennifer, you will be missed, greatly.

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. Jennifer sounds wonderful. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is beautiful! Jennifer sounds like an amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a poignant tribute, Liana. So sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Beautiful painting you did here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to hear about your loss Liana. There is no words: my prayers are with Jennifer.
    Take care,
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends, thank you so much for your kind thoughts. Talking about it eases the pain. I finished this painting on Monday and was satisfied. I like the way it seems that the roses are bursting out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, it seems inappropriate to begin with congratulations on being asked to give a demo because the rest of your post is so sad! But anyway - I am pleased that you were asked, I hope it goes well and I am very sorry for you to hear your sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra, thank you! I understand, I was so thrilled to be asked to do a demo and couldn't wait to share the news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a coincidence Liana, but things happen for a reason...sad to hear about Jennifer. But your roses are absolutely stunning. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!