Monday, February 7, 2011

Orange Umbrellas
6x9 watercolor
I have stacks and stacks of photos I have taken of cafe/umbrella scenes. I do not know what it is that attracts me to outdoor cafes with umbrellas as painting subjects. Again, applying (trying to apply) what Andy Evansen taught us, I tried here. Andy paints on wet paper very fast. I think my paper was still a little too wet since the umbrellas bled a lot. Then the paper dried so fast I was painting wet onto dry paper. I do like the overall scene and the umbrella "dance"/"pattern" is interesting to me. I may try this on a large size paper. I do prefer painting with larger brushes and having more space to let the paint intermix.


My budding little artist painting on a snow day. His Auntie sent him that darling paint set.

Have a great week! Thanks for your comments, critiques and visits.

9 comments:

  1. Your umbrella painting is beautiful, love the colors, feels warm, bright and sunny. (Unlike outside my front door!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally agree on Marias words, beautiful painting, colors and atmosphere. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the composition, so much placed so well in such a small painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love these scenes - and you paint them so beautifully! I love the sunny colours and it makes me look forward to summer :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you sweet friends. Whether it is freezing outside or not, I just like painting bright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job Liana.. I love the outdoor cafe scenes as well.. Maybe we are attracted to them because we wish we were sitting at those table. Great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The painting is lovely--I think the most appealing paintings are ones I wish I could step into, and this is certainly one of those.
    and how adorable that your little artist can work alongside you.
    cheers,
    faye

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful sunny scene! And a lovley young arstist:-)) Hugs from Luzia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love umbrella and cafe scenes and paintings also.. something about travel and sketching outside...you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!