Friday, February 21, 2014

Butterfly Study and Prep for Dallas Arboretum Show





I have posted in the past how I have this visual of a butterfly painting in my head, but, it is not complete.  I keep wanting to paint this image of butterflies in flight.  Because of the art show at the Dallas Arboretum, Artscape, I decided to start with some small butterfly studies.  This has taken me to creating abstract patterns using watercolor and a variety of resists like plastic to emulate the patterns found in butterfly wings.  I have some beautiful washes posted on my facebook page.  Right now I am so in love with them, I am afraid to go to the next step because I am enjoying the pattern as it is for the time.  I would be interested in hearing what you think about these first pass washes.  I am not sure if I should use negative painting to create the butterflies or if I should do positive painting on the wings to define the butterflies.  In the meantime, I just keep painting a butterfly every morning.  I was lucky to see a fantastic butterly collection at the arboretum in Montreal.  I took several pictures, but, the vivid silky wings don't come out as fantastic in the photos.

Have a fabulous weekend!  Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts.

Press here to go to Facebook Page

5 comments:

  1. I love these, particularly the transparency of the Monarch wings on the last one. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are light as a feather, Liana. Wonderful work! And I am off to find you on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These butterflies are beautiful, Liana! So delicate..!! A definite winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, fellow artists. I really appreciate your thoughts, especially coming from you, each of you having your own special style that I admire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful subject which you capture so delicately but also with their vibrant colours - Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!