Monday, October 29, 2012

More City Scenes

Summer Stroll
11x14
by Liana Yarckin


Value Studies

I hope everyone is enjoying their fall.  I am certainly enjoying this cool weather.  I almost went plein air painting today, but, the building I wanted to paint is in shade now.  I had to get out there earlier to have some sun on it.

Above is a painting I did with my new goal of capturing sunlight.  I think I need to make the shadow of the railing a little darker, but, right now I am in love with light colors and the way they mix together.  However, I do believe with the building in the back being so dark, I need to darken the shadow to make it work.  The photo was a sidewalk in Maui.  The ocean is just to the left of the painting.  Can you believe I left that out?

I posted a group of 4x6 value studies as well.  These are helping me to keep my focus on value.  I always start doing them and then I get to anxious and just skip and jump right into the painting. But, this time around, I am going to try to stay focus on a value study for every painting. 

In closing, here is a fantastic Chihuly Sculpture.  Right now there is a Chihuly exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum.  It is amazing.  Go soon, it is well worth it.  I enjoy it as much in the day as at night.  Oh, and my 5th and 6th grade boys loved it.  They took so many photos and posted them on Instagram.  They asked if we could go again.  You know that was music to my ears!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful sunny and happy scene. I love the value studies, lovely paintings in their own right!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!