Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day 7 of 30 in 30 Challenge

Cotton Candy II
11x14 watercolor by Liana Yarckin

Today is Day 7 in Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge.  I want to use this challenge as a way to practice and force myself to paint my favorite subjects, but, I am always saving for when I get better.  I am drawn to interactions between people and crowds of people.  That's why I started the cafe series, to paint the lovely umbrellas and capture everyone having time together.  I, myself can sit all day under an umbrella with friends enjoying each other's company.  When I see others doing the same as I am walking by, I want to capture that moment.  So I have a stack of photos of people at cafes, beaches, walking on the streets and when I get brave enough, I snap pics of interactions like the one above.  Look how happy the lady is to give the boy his cotton candy.  

So my painting is not that great.  At least to me.  But, it is a huge improvement from yesterday's painting.  There are a lot of things I like about it, but, I don't like the colors of the darks.  For those of you that are familiar with my work, you know that I have a light, high key color palette that is consistent in my paintings.  Yesterday's painting was a similar seen, but, horizontal and 3 additional people in the painting.  It came out soooooooo horrible, I did not post it.  I was brave enough to show it to a friend who was commenting on a piece of art somewhere else.  Our conversation started that he thought I was a "happy artist".  He said, "your paintings are happy.  If anyone asks you what kind of artist you are, tell them that you are a happy artist."  We discussed how I had been thinking of this very topic.  I don't feel as though I have paintings with "deep" meaning.  Certainly, not dark or disturbing.  Anyhow, he made some helpful suggestions on Day 6's disaster, but, what I came aways with more, is that my paintings do have a deep meaning.  They have a message of embrace the beauty of each other, enjoy our times together.  The flowers, seashells and beach scenes are appreciate the beauty around us when we are so lucky to come across beauty vs. tragedy.  The beach scenes and gardens I like to paint are about serenity and peacefulness.  I paint the subjects I paint because I enjoy the feelings of happiness, connecting with others, tranquility, joy when watching children.  

Back to the challenge, so I post my not so great painting as a documentation of the process of me trying to get to the place I want to be artistically with the most challenging subject matter for me.  I will keep working on this subject until I feel so happy to share it with you.  I completely appreciate any suggestions from you on how to make painting people/figures.  I know I should use this challenge to showcase my best work, but, I really need the pressure of this challenge to work on a subject that is difficult for me.  I won't get better at painting this subject unless I paint, paint and paint again.  

I think I am painting pumpkins and gourds for tomorrow.  Something I can handle more easily.

Visit my facebook page, Liana Yarckin Watercolors, to see my large portfolio of happy paintings.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!