Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

Untitled
12x12 acrylic on gold leaf

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and I wish you all a great new year!  I have been saving this painting for either a Christmas or New Year's post.  Now that we are already 3 days into the new year....

This is acrylic on gold leaf.  In person, it is bright with shimmering color.  It was hard to photograph because the gold leaf would reflect the flash of the camera.  I chose this photo because it best represents the gold leaf.  Where it is dark, it is really violet, magenta and emerald green mingling along side each other with little sparkles of gold shining through.  It is very festive and when I saw it coming together I thought of the celebration of Christmas and the New Year.  These are by biggest annual celebrations I remember and look forward to growing up and all of my life.  A time to celebrate, be with family, give, share and to look forward to what is to come.

This painting makes me think of the new year, too, because it makes me think of the excitement of what is to come, chance, opportunity, newness.  I was not thinking of these things when I was creating this piece.  I think I feel this way because my eyes never get tired of looking at it.  The gold leaf and the variations of texture and pattern just keep my eyes moving.  I have to say, I was very excited when working on this piece, fearless with no preconceived ideas.  I only get to look at it on the screen, however.  I gave the original to a friend for her birthday.  It fits her personality perfectly.

This year I am setting a goal in my artist journey, but, I am not going to share it in case I don't achieve it.  I just wanted to state that I am setting a goal versus all of the years past of just painting and cruising along.  But, look at this cool list I found below.  I can at least feel good that I can check off some of the rules below.  The one that always works if you are down, #7, always create.


5 comments:

  1. Liana,
    Your creativity levels are really on top here. And this is the first time I am hearing about gold leaf. Is it a painting surface or actual gold leaf?

    And a very very awesome new year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Liana.
    I so wish I could see the real thing, but anyway I can see enough here to make me like all the textures and the colours too and you are right, it really does have a festive feel. I love gold leaf. I tried gold leaf paint once but it just wasn't the same at all! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sandra and Prabal. Prabal, I applied gold leaf (metal leaf - comes in gold, silver, copper and bronze) to board. The metal leaf comes in 4x4 sheets and is so delicate that you have to handle it with care and really only transfer it from the tissue paper it comes in to your surface. My friend that is a framer showed me how about 20 years ago. I prefer the actual leaf versus the paint. The leaf has this special texture that sets it far and above the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the painting, the way the paint ed areas float over the gold leaf. The rules are good too. Good luck with this years goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liana, this is a lovely piece and you've done a beautiful work of art.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!