Saturday, April 28, 2018

Decorating: Gallery Walls/Hanging art Salon Style

I think we all have collected pieces of art over time.  We buy a piece on vacation, a piece that sings to us, or we have inherited pieces from relatives or even family artists.  If you are like me, I am running out of room to display my art. Not the art I paint, but, all of the art I have purchased over the years. I thought I would rotate pieces, but, time goes by and before you know it, it has been 10 years without rotating a single piece.  Hence, hang art in "salon style."


To hang art in "Salon style" dates back to the 1600's when the French Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture would exhibit their students work.  In order to show everyone's work, paintings were hung floor to ceiling and as close as possible. Later, in 1725, the exhibit was moved to the Salon Carré (Square Salon) of the royal palace known as the Louvre. Since then it has been referred to as the Salon and hanging many pieces of art together is known as "Salon style".

Of course I picked this photo because the 
sofa and chairs grabbed me!!!

If you have plaster walls, here is a way 
to hang your art, often seen in castles
and manor homes in England.

Salon style is a great way to 
display your kids' art and makes
them feel good, too!

From Zaza Couture Home, Salon style was the 
best solution for this long empty wall.
p.s. do you see my piece in the pic?


 To see more ways to create your very own "Salon style" display in your home, visit my pinterest board.  There is even a pin on how to hang art like Kate Spade.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!