Wednesday, September 26, 2012

SWS 49th Annual Juried Member Show

Linda Franklin
Second Place
Mary Emerson
Edgar A. Whitney Award

Pat Kochan
Carolyn Hollabaugh BAC Award
Just some of the paintings in the show

Me and my mom

Last Saturday evening was the Southwestern Watercolor Society's 49th Annual Juried Member Reception.  The show is running until October 19, the gallery is open everyday except Sunday.

I already mentioned in a previous post that the paintings are really amazing.  Artists from Florida to California entered.  The reception was very crowded and there were so many artists friends to talk to and to meet.  I didn't take any photos until after the reception when it was almost empty.  The painting on top by Linda Franklin is my absolute favorite.  LOVE these colors and the pattern makes my eyes want to keep looking all around the painting.  Some small world tidbits:  

all 3 of my watercolor teachers won awards, that would be:
Jane Jones, Naomi Brotherton and Pat Kochan

I was reunited with a long lost painting pal, Mary Emerson.  She had talked me into 
taking my first week long workshop out of town with Ken Hosmer.  AND I bought the first
painting she ever sold!  It is still hanging in my house.  When I saw her name on the painting, I wondered if it was the same Mary Emerson.  She looks the same and she remembered me.

My dear artist friend, Anne Beletic was in the show, too.  We had met at a workshop long ago.  Then she recognized me at the playground when our children were just toddlers.  It turned out that our kids would go to school together to this day.

I do love this art community that I am so fortunate to be a part of.  My mom got to come to the show because she happened to be in town.  She is an artist, too.  I am so glad I got to share this with her.  My sweet little 4 year old fell asleep in the car and slept through the entire event despite how noisy it was.  When we got home he asked, "Are we going to the art show?"






3 comments:

  1. Aww... How cute!
    It sounds like a good time was had by all! I wish there were more shows like that near me :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, there may be more shows like that. Google art groups in your area, ask at the local art supply shops, art shows and every artist you know. Once you find out about one, then you will find out about so many! Look for Women in art, art society groups, oil groups, plein air, or start your very own!

      Delete
  2. Hello Liana:) Lovely post! Nice how your son asked when to go to the artshow:) Very nice photo of you and your mom! Always nice to meet people who you haven't seen for a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!