Sunday, November 8, 2009

Girl on Beach

Here is the watercolor from the ink study posted down below. The photo was taken in Nice. The girl is a young Italian girl watching her brother play. I simplified the photo, taking out all of the people, beach umbrellas, the city in the hills and focused only on the girl and her dress. I loved the way her dress was blowing in the wind and how it seemed that she had absolutely nothing to do but, take small wandering steps and twiddle her thumbs.

I have good news in regards to the two art shows I posted. Both were a success. The Grape Escape raises money for Heart House, an organization that provides after school care and activities for children. Art works by several artists were displayed and for sale with 50% or the proceeds going to Heart House. The most touching detail of the event was all of the "postcards" made by the children. Each postcard was decorated by a child with a message from them and their photo. To read the messages was both sweet and heartbreaking. Of course, I immediately took out my checkbook. I am so happy that my Aspens painting sold as well and that half of the proceeds will go to Heart House.

Then Friday night was the Annual Preview Party for CityArtCal. Great party with lots of great art by local artists. A guest found Sunbathing Poppies for a Christmas present. It sung to her and she said that when she saw it she immediately thought of her daughter. There were a couple of bidding wars going on with some of the artworks. My husband luckily won the bid on a painting that sung to him. Would you believe, aspens, but in a completely different style than what I paint.

Have a fabulous week. All comments welcome!

3 comments:

  1. I like what you have done with the washes. Very colorful. Wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lonely looking girl in a lonely landscape. You have evoked a lot of emotion here,Liana!The clean colours strengthen the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Liana, my first thought was what a pretty little girl!!!
    Its a beautiful clean painting.
    Loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts. I love hearing from you!